Sunday, June 7, 2015

First EYEnstein of the week of 3rd year: Emily Stephey!

Get to know Emily a bit better!

1. Your mom is one of the students' favorite professors on campus. How does it feel going to school with her as a professor?

It's definitely a unique experience. Luckily for me she doesn't teach as much lecture as she used to so its not too weird. Sometimes it's tough because I think I put a lot of pressure on myself to not do or say anything stupid in front of the faculty. Everyone wants to make their parents proud and I don't want to embarrass her...even though she embarrasses me in contact lens lecture. Just kidding, that only happened once. But I enjoy it, its nice to have her if I have questions about anything or to go out to lunch with her!



2. You've been a Fullerton local your whole life.. Do you plan on sticking around after graduation? If not, where do you see yourself living/working?

I didn't really plan on staying in Fullerton for my whole life thus far, it kind of just happened that way. I'm leaning towards doing some sort of residency after school so we'll see where that takes me. I enjoy living in Southern California but it's not a requirement for me that I live here after graduation. I don't think I could live anywhere where it snows though, I'm a big pansy when it comes to cold weather. 




3. If you weren't pursuing optometry, what career would you have chosen?

Contrary to what some people think, both of my OD parents didn't push me into optometry. I actually didn't decide I wanted to go to optometry school until junior year of undergrad. So before that when I was deciding what I wanted to do, I was considering going into medical research. I also think it would be fun to be a high school soccer coach. I grew up playing soccer and even played club soccer in undergrad for Cal State Fullerton. I really miss playing soccer so I think it would be fun to coach!



4. What did you do over our week long summer break"

Over our week long break, I went up to Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park with my family. I would highly recommend them to any other fellow national park lovers! They're both beautiful and we saw a ton of wildlife in Yellowstone. Bison, bears, foxes, deer, elk, everything! One of the days we pulled the car over because we saw this elk that was across this river that was right next to the road. My mom and I got out of the car to get a better look at it but we were still pretty far away. The road had this huge drop off to the river so we couldn't really see right over the edge. When we were getting out, the elk had crossed the river and was running up the hill right at us. We were like "oh sh*t!" because it looked like it was about to charge us. I used my mom as a human shield and I don't think she enjoyed that very much haha It was an awesome trip though!



5. Tell us something we don't know about you

I'll give you three things. I have my motorcycle license and I had my brown belt in karate when I was about 12 years old. This last one is pretty crazy. My mom and Dr Ridder were in the same optometry class at ICO and now both of their children are in the same optometry class across the country at SCCO, 30 years later!




No comments:

Post a Comment